Friday, September 23, 2011

{Just kids!}


The other night Michael and I were looking through some old pictures, when we came upon our "Engagements". Because we eloped, we never had any pre-wedding pictures. So my fantastic sister, Kathrin, took these for us the day of our Open House, just a month after our actual wedding day - 1 day before my 20th Birthday! {See Kathrin's photography website HERE }.


I absolutely LOVE every single one of these pictures so much! We couldn't help but thinking, we look SO little... just like kids!! {Probably because we were! HA!} Anyway, we got to talking... who in the heck gets married at age 19?! {I was 19 for one more month, and Michael had just barely been 20 for a month!} Crazy, stupid kids, that's who! We both agree we were dumbBUT neither of us would change any of it for the world!

As we were laying in bed that night, I got to thinking... what would I tell my 19 year old, newly married self, if I had the chance??? ... Here are just a few of things I came up with:

***It's OKAY to go to bed mad! Sometimes, you just need a little sleep to clear your head, or calm yourself down! Many times, things seem like THAT much of a bigger deal - BECAUSE you are tired! So forget the "never go to bed mad" advice! Just stop talking AND thinking - and go to sleep! 9 out of 10 times, you will wake up the next morning with clarity on the situation - and probably realize, it was NO.BIG.DEAL anyway!

***BE PATIENT! Seriously, be patient with Michael AND yourself! Marriage takes time to get the hang of, even 6 1/2 years later - we still have things we are trying to figure out. And that's OKAY!

***The first year is HARD, but you will make it through!! I've heard it both ways, some say their first year was a breeze, and some say the first year sucks. For us, it was HARD, and it was A LOT of WORK, but {as cliche as it sounds} it is WORTH IT! 

***DON'T take Birth Control Pills!!!  They just make you crazy, and emotional, and definitely NOT yourself! {Yeah, this may have contributed to the first year being so hard ;)} It doesn't matter how many different brands you try - they just aren't for you! So skip 'em, and go right to the other form of B.C.

***You CANNOT eat as much as Michael! I learned this one the hard way... and now looking back, it sounds so dumb! But honestly, Michael eats often, and a lot more than I need to. I always thought I had to keep up, so if he had half of a pizza, I had the other half - just makes sense right?! WRONG! Just don't do it... those Newlywed pounds are a lot harder to come off than to put on!

***Michael is... well, he's just Michael! Your loud, annoying and will talk to anyone. He isn't. He's quiet, kinda shy and just doesn't say much. Which is why it works so well, so STOP apologizing for him! When you go to social events and he keeps to himself, guess what, IT'S OKAY! He's happy, so you should be happy - and stop trying to change him! He will never be the social butterfly you are - and that's why you love him! So no more sorry's! {I've learned this with in the last couple of years... yeah, I'm a little slow!}

Those are just a few of the MANY things I've thought of... 6 1/2 years later, and I feel like we've learned a lot, but I know we will continue to learn more every single day! {Especially when we decide to have kiddos - EEK!} I am so grateful to have Michael in my life - he really is the best partner a gal could ask for!
Michael really, truly is: 
Image via Pinterest

A couple more that are just for me... don't really have much to do with being a young married woman... But I still wish I could have told myself...
***PLEASE don't wear hoodies anymore! I seriously look back at pictures, and that's all I'm wearing! WHAT THE?! Buy a freaking Cardigan, they are just as comfy, but so much less sluggish! I remember wearing them out on many date nights too - ugh! There are so many things that make me cringe about my fashion back in the day... but oh well - it's in the past {I like to think I'm much better now :)}
***Don't wait so long to get a freaking Pedicure! They are not even half as bad as you think they are, in fact - they are pretty AMAZING! So maybe don't wait till your 26 to get your first one... deal? Deal.

9 comments:

Holli said...

You guys do look little! :) I love the advice you gave yourself! And you're right, it is okay to go to bed mad. Whomever came up with that little gem is stupid. :)

Hahn's said...

Love this most Laura!! You guys were just little- how cute!! But look how far you have come!

And girl- I do not know why it took you 26 years to find out that pedis are THE best thing ever!!

LOVE YOU!

the Sorensen's said...

So...I have to admit that I came across ur blog thru a mutual friends as I was 'blog stalking' :) You are absolutely adorable! You and ur hubby are so stinkin' cute! I love all ur fun posts and I'm def going to be following you...hopefully u don't mind! :) ha ha

RH said...

You guys look so young and it's awesome to see you guys have grown. You both look just as in love or maybe even more so than when those photos were taken before your open house. No marriage is ever perfect even after so many years. I'm learning the tricks of the trade but it's like you said, I wouldn't have it any other way!!

Rachel said...

Yes, the first year is hard and I totally agree with the birth control thing. They DO = CRAZINESS!

The Andersons said...

Laura, I love thispost, haha I think I say that about all your posts!! You and Michael are so cute, I love it!

De España said...

I loved this post. I don't know how I didn't see it until now. I totally agree about the being okay with going to bed mad. I think sometimes people just need time apart to appreciate the goodness. Everyone gets sick of each other sometimes - even with your very best friends you feel that way sometimes (or at least I do), so of course you sometimes feel that way about your spouse. But after you get a little "break" you remember all that you love about them and it's much easier to get over the fight and/or annoyance. Hmmm, I'm still not sure about the first year being the hardest... we are almost through our 2nd year of marriage and I really don't think either year has been that hard. But I honestly think I have a different perspective about the difficulties of relationships because I dated a guy for 3 years before I met and married Tony, and that 3 year relationship was SO HARD... obviously why it didn't work out! I don't think ANY fight or challenge Tony and I have had has been anywhere near as hard as what I went through with that ex-boyfriend, so for that reason I never see our marriage as hard! I guess that's a good thing, but then if you ask Tony he might say our first year was hard... I don't know! Anyway, enough blabbing! Loved this post!

De España said...

And yes you guys do look young in those pictures but really cute! And every picture I've ever seen of you you look skinny and cute - I never saw any newlywed weight gain!

Kathrin Paul said...

I love those pics. I'm glad you married Michael. I'm glad I'm friends with him now.