I don't know what it is... but ever since I can remember, I have had a huge fascination with Polygamy. Maybe it's the fact that I was born and raised in Utah... or maybe it has something to do with being born and raised in the Mormon religion {Although, I'm pretty sure the other 14 Million members (give or take) don't have the same strong fascination as I do}. {And FYI - The mainstream Mormon church officially ended the practice of polygamy around 1890}
Being in Utah, I've seen a few Polygamists {At my local Walmart, or at the store when I was in St. George}... there is also a huge Polygamy house not even 2 miles away from my house, and there have been a couple of times that I have seen them outside playing in the yard :).
I love reading books about Polygamy! I love learning more and more about the Polygamy culture... Here are a few of my favorite:
Stolen Innocence is the story of Elissa Wall growing up in a Polygamous community, how she was forced to marry at the age of 14, a guy who was 19 - who she absolutely couldn't stand. When she finally ran away from her abusive husband (and situation) she lived in her car, and had to go through struggles of a young girl who knew nothing of the world outside the Polygamist community - but all the while, keeping her hope! It's a very good read, and I would definitely recommend it!
The Chosen One is a crazy good read about a little 13 year old girl who has just been told that she has been chosen to marry her 60 year old uncle! This book is so well written, it starts out with her telling "her sins": Books- {She often sneaks to the County Book Mobile to read forbidden books}, and A Boy-{she meets with another boy in her community, the boy she hopes to choose for herself instead of having a man chosen for her}. Her father tries to fight the marriage to her MUCH older uncle, only to have the family threatened! Such a great book!
Under the Banner of Heaven is one my all time favorite books {In fact, it has been a while since I read it last - I'm thinking it's time to read it again!} This book is based on the true story of two Polygamist brothers: Dan & Ron Lafferty, who murder the wife of their younger brother and their 15 month daughter because they believe they received "revelation" that it needed to be done, and they were the ones to do it {Extremely disturbing}. This book also goes into details of how the Mormon Fundamentalism emerged from the Mormon religion. I loved this book so much ... But I could see how it has the potential to offend some people - it's definitely a conversation starter "Jon Kraker poses some striking questions about the closed-minded, closed-door policies of the religion - and many religions in general" - Publishers Weekly
The Lonely Polygamist is the book that I am reading right now... I am about half way through it, and it has so far been a very entertaining book! It's a little bit, okay, a lot a bit :) inappropriate at times! This book is the story of a Polygamist who has 4 wives, but is going through a mid-life crises. He is feeling very overwhelmed with the size of his family - {and the nagging of all 4 wives!} There is heartbreak, dysfunction and comedy. So far, a very good read!Those are just a few of the books on Polygamy I have read {And I have 2 more in my bookshelf just waiting to be devoured :)}
Michael and I also loved watching the HBO series Big Love {This show caused a lot of controversy, and was extremely racey at times... but it will always be one of our faves!}


4 comments:
You know, I'm really fascinated with it, too. Maybe it's because I'm a greedy guts and couldn't imagine sharing with other women :) I'm gonna have to try out some of those books!
i have read a bit about it too... but more on the islamic side rather than the mormon side. it is fascinating, esp. when women push for it.
You have a polygamy house 2 miles from you? You must share this with me and take me there. I love seeing things like that. I have had a lot of my spottings in St George, they are everywhere down there!
Thank you for not bringing this up as a topic of conversation in front of my mom. I think she seriously is wondering when Dave is going to take another wife. Notice how it is the men that take on more than one spouse? Women aren't that stupid. Having more than one husband is like adding another kid to the bunch! Oh & think of all of the headaches you would have to fake! JK ;)
Post a Comment