Saturday, September 27, 2008

THe HiSTorY of US

WARNING: Super long post, stop now if you don't have at least 5 minutes =) I have told this story many of times, but it never gets old. I thought that it would be really important to put it down in writing . . .
Michael and I met when I worked at the Zions Bank in Magna, UT. He would come into the bank every other week to deposit his pay check- and every single time, my 50 year old co-worker, the 60 year old co-worker and I would watch him walk out and get in his sexy Mustang or on his motorcycle. And we all were thinking the same thing "What a freaking hottie!" So of course I didn't think that I had a chance. But one day when I was at a training, his mom came in and talked to the Virginia (my co-worker) and was asking if the dark haired girl still worked here because his son "fancies her". She said yes and as soon as Julie walked out the door Virginia called me to tell me the whole story. I was so excited. So the next Friday when he came in to deposit his check, even though I was on the drive thru window, I rushed over to the counter so that I could help him. We made lame conversation like "Any big plans for this weekend?" "Nope, you?" "Nope". Then he just left! I was so frustrated thinking that he just left with out asking for my number! But then, here came his Mustang through the first window of the drive- thru. He put his charm on hard core "Well if your not doing anything and I'm not doing anything, maybe we should do nothing together." lol. So I wrote my number on a bank receipt and passed it through the drawer- like a true pro.
That Saturday he called me to see if I could hang out that night, but I was nervous so I told him I had plans (which I didn't). So we decided to go walk around Jordan Parkway on Sunday afternoon. He picked me up and stopped at the gas station to fuel up and buy us some Gatorade, (It was the middle of June, so it was super hot). I thought that he was such a punk for stopping at the gas station on a Sunday, what a rebel! We walked around and had such awkward conversation- I seriously talked the ENTIRE time and he gave me 1 word answers. So he thought that I was annoying and talked to much- and I thought he was rude and cocky for not talking at all. Luckily his buddy convinced him to go out with me again, and I am a sucker for a free meal (that sounds so rude, but really, he is some definite eye candy- so not only was it a free meal, but I also got to stare at a hottie too)


So we started to date, "nothing serious, just hanging out" but eventually it got serious- and we were the only ones that we were seeing. We started to use the "L" word, talked every single day; saw each other pretty much everyday. So we started to plan a trip to visit his dad in Hawaii. One day we were talking and one of us said "Wouldn't it be funny if we got married while we were in Hawaii". We started to look around at websites, and found one- A Hawaii Wedding.com. We got to pick the location, if we wanted a photographer, a cake and even what preacher we wanted to marry us. Michael went and looked at rings and then about a week later he took me. Told me how much I could spend and to pick out what I wanted.
Can you believe that we kept it all a secret for over 2 months?!?! We went to Hawaii, and on Wednesday, May 10Th, 2005. We got married at about 6:00pm on the beach. The sun was setting, the waves were crashing and it was absolutely gorgeous. We only got 2 pictures, with a disposable camera, that we had the preacher take. On the way to the BEAUTIFUL hotel that we stayed at, I called my family and told them, most of them were pretty frustrated. (Michael chose not to call his family until after- I left that decision up to him). But by the time we got back to the main land, both of our families were supportive of our decision that we made. Both of our lovely mothers decided that we needed to have an "Open House" to celebrate our marriage. We invited close friends and family and had a really good time.


So that is the story. I love our story. Who else can say that they eloped in Hawaii?! We are still so in love; more so now than ever. We are also SO happy that we did get married.







7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Laura, that is so sweet and romantical!! I remember that you could keep a secret for anyone!! I love ya Laura and I am glad that I am learnign more about you and Mike as a couple!! U r both too cute for words. I know that Mike thinks I am wierd. But, I just talk to him to try and include him because he is soooo quiet!1 I hope he doesn't get annoyed . And if he does. Oh well, that is me and I like to make the extended familes husbands and wives feel accepted!!

Kathrin Paul said...

Ok. Whoever took ALL of those pics of you is rockin. It wasn't really that long. . . and yeah, gosh, how funny that you eloped in Hawaii and kept it a secret for two months! Ha ha ha. Oh well. I'm over it.

I'm glad you guys are so happy and it's true, you are cute together!

Hahn's said...

Laura..if that wasn't the cutest post ever. I love that you guys eloped. I love that you guys are so in love, and most of all i love that you guys live so close to Kevin and I. HA HA. JK. But really, great post, i wish i could get as creative as you!

Jamie said...

Lovely story! I didn't know all the details, so it's nice to hear how it all played out. When I heard you had eloped, I thought how brave you must be! Only because I know I could never do it knowing my dad would be SO mad! But I'm glad everything worked out so well - you two are such an adorable couple! I love how I am able to get to know everyone a little bit more through each post you write. It helps me feel closer to to y'all when I am so far away.

Miranda said...

Oh, what a sweet love story! I love it! What a love story to tell your kids...BUT...BUT...what about the proposal...where's the juicy details on that...in another blog?? Did I miss it?

You two are a beautiful couple. Great pics. Just cause you only got 2 pics...the memory will last 4-ever...just like you and Mike!

Alexandra said...

I'm so glad for love and it sounds like you are too... I'm glad you and Mike met cause then Brandon has a buddy to roll his eyes with when we get together.

Holli said...

I love it. love it. love it and wish I had thought of it. You guys are adorable and I wish I could have been to the open house years ago. I remember the shock of hearing about you eloping...lol it was so funny. The funniest thing was how mad your big sister was. You got married before her and you did it in a sneaky way. How rude was that? Ha, ha. Love you